News and Announcements

📌 Introducing: 'The Big Picture (Ask)', where I answer questions that people often find confusing or contradictory, if not understood, and answered, in a dispensational way.
🎬 Bible Study on YouTube: Latest video on YouTube here.

 

Follow me as I follow Christ

Follow me as I follow Christ

All through the gospels, Jesus proclaimed, "Follow me ...". Here are a few examples, (Matt.4:19, Matt.9:9, Matt.16:24, Matt.19:21, Mark 8:34, Mark 10:21, Luke 9:23, Luke 18:22, John 10:27, John 12:26).

As one can deduce from these examples, the phrase wasn't so much an invitation to follow Him where ever He walked, but rather to copy Him in lifestyle, in attitude, in deeds and in manner. To become a disciple and imitate Him and devote ones life to His example. 

Not many people are aware however, that Paul also said, "Follow me ...". Let's have a look at an example,

Phil.3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

In the context of this verse, his call for others to follow is similar to that of Jesus regarding imitating him, following his example and lifestyle. Now this raises the question, why did Paul say this? Wouldn't this cause confusion if Jesus said, "Follow me ...", and now Paul says the same thing? Well, yes, it would, if you do not understand the correct context regarding what Paul meant. Let's look into this a bit deeper.

The next verse below makes it a bit clearer,

1 Cor.11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Now we see that Paul is calling on others to follow him as He is following Christ. OK! You might be a little more comfortable with this verse, right? But why does Paul say this? Surely I can just follow Christ directly without Paul being in the way? Why would Paul place himself between me and Christ? Now that is a good question. So, let's clarify.

Lets start by bringing some things to your attention. ❶ Firstly, you must understand that Paul is divinely chosen (eklegó; Strongs Lex: a divine selection, Gal.1:1) by the risen and glorified Christ to fulfil a very specific purpose (Acts 9:15) towards the Gentiles. ❷ Secondly, Paul was the first to be saved into a brand new dispensation (1 Tim.1:16) and, ❸ thirdly, it was through his ministry as the apostle to the Gentiles (Rom.11:13), that the Lord revealed a new gospel and a new mystery doctrine (that was never prophesied or mentioned in the Old Testament or Gospels),

Rom.16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now made manifest...

These points above are significant, and it is these points that bring us to our answer. If Paul was the first into a new grace dispensation, a brand new program that contains a brand new pattern of living (1 Tim.1:16), then surely the call for men to follow him is valid. Just stop here and consider this, --Nobody before Paul knew ANYTHING about this new program, and certainly knew nothing of how God wanted them to live and move and have their being (Acts 17:28), or to think, interact, fellowship as the body of Christ, conform to the mysteries and even get saved by the newly revealed gospel of the meaning of Christ's dead and resurrection. Only Paul had these answers, and it was up to Paul (by the power of the Holy Spirit working mightily in him, Col.1:29), to live out this new pattern and call on men to follow in his example.

Col.1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; 26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: 29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily.

Paul certainly had the right and the authority to say, "Follow me ..."

To conclude this article and to bring even more evidence to our case, let's briefly review the incredible statements (bolded) spoken by Paul in these last two verses. Read them slowly and really consider what Paul is saying,

Eph.3:1-9 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, 2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward: 3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, 4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) 5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; 6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: 7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power. 8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; 9 And to make all men see [bring to light, communicate, demonstrate] what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

1 Cor.4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. (Paul is saying that by his grace gospel, he has 'birthed' us into this new dispensation) 16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me. 17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

Through following Paul, by his example and the instructions from his epistles, we learn to follow Christ according to the revelation of His new grace pattern. Paul stands in between us and Christ because we are to learn how Jesus wants us to live by the example he personally gave to Paul. To dismiss following Paul is to dismiss following Christ today. To bypass Paul and follow the example of Jesus from the Gospels is to reject the new instructions that Christ gives us to live by in this day and age. Paul is our example and our pattern. Let us follow him as he in turn followed Christ.

May God's grace and peace be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding the New Testament Gospel Differences (Part 1)

The Connection between Abraham and Paul (Part.2)

How the Gospels Transitioned through ACTS (Part 5)